Sunday, May 17, 2009

[from my myspace] College Apps

[intro]
I used myspace.com blogs for the past few years for my randomly-spaced blogging. Therefore, I am jumpstarting my blog here with most of those blogs, lightly edited.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original posting: Wednesday, February 15, 2006, 3:45 PM
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, the subject calls this "Timmy's Rants," not "Timmy Rants" or "Timmy's Rant." "Timmy Rants" would mean that I was referring to myself in the third-person, which is weird. "Timmy's Rant" would imply that this rant will be an isolated event, which I plan on it not being isolated. Thus, "Timmy's Rants" fits perfectly because this will be the first of many rants, posted in random, irregular time intervals. So for instance, I might post 3 in one day or 2 consecutive ones two months part. It will all just depend. Depend on what, you ask? That is indeed a good question. Because these posts will be very stream-of-consciousness (like in the trend was in literature in the late 19th and early 20th centuries), there will not be a definite overall topic. However, the majority of the rant or the coolest topic I discuss will become the "Sub-Topic" and will appear in the Subject title/line for reader-friendliness or whatever.

Anyway, the date is now the 15th of February. If this month were March, it'd be the Ides of March. But because it's February, I am two days late for it being the Ides of February since that day is February 13th. (The Ides is the 15th day in March, May, July, and October, and the 13th in the other months.)

What was I saying? Oh right, it's mid-February. College admissions applications and financial aid applications are finally done. Well, actually, I'm thinking about applying to another school: Pacific Lutheran University. So far, I've applied Early Action to University of Chicago (and was deferred), Boston University, University of Texas at Austin and the honors programs of Liberal Arts Honors and Plan II there, Princeton University, and Tulane University. As you can see, the colleges I have already applied to are all located in the mid-north, northeast, or the Texas area. Therefore, it's only fair that I apply to some place west of Texas. We'll see how that goes.

My preference of these colleges is Boston, Chicago, UT-Austin (with an honors program though), and Tulane. Princeton is just there. I don't expect to get accepted, but if I do, then it'll shoot to second- or third-choice. Even so, I'll follow where the money is offered. Of course, the factor of how much I actually want to go there will be included in there as well.

Now that I'm virtually done with all this nonsense, I can finally write thank-you cards to the teachers that wrote me recommendations/references. I've had a list of teachers or counselors all written out and the thank you cards already bought sitting on the edge of my desk for about a month now. I just hadn't gotten around to writing them out, but that should happen before the end of today or tomorrow.

I'm looking at the edge of my window which is right next to my computer, and there are lots of ants just scurrying around. Well, actually, this was noticed a while ago, so in the left corner and right corner of the window sill is a drop-thingy of ant poison that, I'm guessing, tastes good to them. Ergo, the ants are all over the blob of ant poison goo, and they're really slow. I keep thinking that they're drunk, and it's hilarious!!!

Eventually, my rants will get to controversial topics, but I decided that since most of the people I know are affected by the dreaded college application, I should begin with that sub-topic. And also, it just wouldn't be right to start off offending people. Offensive topics are fun and all, but just not as beginnings of something.

Oh, I got tired of changing the background color and font after the first two paragraphs, so that's why only those two are different. I was going to do this cool fading thing with the background of each subsequent paragraph from black to white, but I obviously did not. Later all!

No comments:

Post a Comment